Saturday, December 29, 2012

Not my Les Mis post

Yes, yes, I intend to eventually get my thoughts together about Les Mis and write about it, but for now, I more personally important thought has occurred to me and I'd rather write *it* down. (Partly because I'll be ok letting it be stream of consciousness, whereas ripping into the not-really-a-movie version of a a beloved musical requires coherent argument etc)

So here we go: Two years ago, I wrote about some new friends, and predicted which ones I thought would last. I was wrong in my predictions, as it turns out. I've still got all of them, but which ones were a struggle surprised me. Ish. But that wasn't really the thing that struck me. Today I had a moment of 'huh. I really do have some great friends, just like I wanted'

I've been home from school for a week and a half now. I've seen two dear friends already, both of whom were more insistent than usual that time together occur, and both want to keep in touch better in the future. Two other dear friends (both of that two-years-ago group) have been in fairly constant contact, even though we are in different time zones. The three of us are all in similar boats though. All mostly alone at home, feeling a little disconnect from our families, mostly staying up far too late at night.

It's a really great feeling to know that those boys that I've worked so hard to befriend, those relationships that I've put a lot of effort and emotional energy into making work, have actually come through. This next year is going to be really *really* crazy. I'm moving across the country with my boyfriend. We're going to have an apartment we get to furnish and decorate ourselves. We're going to have a car, and we'll have to insure it. I'm about to become a real person. And it's really amazing to know that no matter what, these guys will still be out there, just a text/phone call/Facebook message/etc away, out there in the world ready with a ':)' ...

Of course while I was writing my big happy conclusion there, my train of thought was broken by one of them messaging me on Facebook. I think that's a better statement than any sappy thing I could come up with.

No comments: