Thursday, December 13, 2012

I GIVE UP ON THIS TITLE.


 So I'm literally one final away from being done with my undergraduate life. Which is simultaneously awesome and terrifying. Awesome cause...*schooooooool's! out! for! ..uh...WINTER!* and terrifying because I will suddenly owe lots of money to the government...or...PNC Bank, since technically they own most of my loans. Anyway. Not really what I felt like writing about.

Take 2: *click*
So I just got back from seeing...uh...an art film, I guess I'll call it, called Holy Motors, which was fairly entertaining, and I went with some people who are interesting and fun to be around, so that was cool too. I had a lot of different thoughts about it, so I figured I'd type 'em up real quick, since my Intro to Film final paper(s) sort of got me in the mood to write about things again.

1) It's weird how things loop around. Like, in my 8th semester, I was partners in a class with someone who I had sort of tangentially known from my first class at CMU. Tonight was another one of those, because the person who instigated the whole outing was a guy I met freshman year in choir, and hadn't really talked to much since then until this semester, when we ran into each other some because I'm taking Intro to Film, and he's now working in the video collection and is pals with my teacher, the recently minted Dr. Hinkelman. Which brings me to:

2) Dissertation defenses are kind of cool, and kind of sticky. Cool in that like, you get to listen to someone talk about something they theoretically are really interested in, and if it's a friend, even better, because you get to hear about what they think, and if it's someone you already like listening to, even double better, because then it won't be boring. (No Jeff, again, it wasn't boring.) Sticky because the committee is supposed to challenge the student and in the English department, this can get annoyingly pedantic and boring. Which is extra sticky if you can completely understand that the questions are half missing the point, and half addressing a theory your friend thinks is dumb in the first place.

3) Yay for new friends! Boo for making new friends when you're about to leave and miss out on Banjo Club night! Ah well. Maybe next semester we can go. I am super intrigued. But yeah, new friends, completely disjoint from my usual social circle, which is super refreshing. As evidenced by my return from an outing with the group feeling super chipper.

Anywho, I'm glad to have posted something this year not so rage-y. Hopefully more will follow.

EDIT: More will follow now because the original title was apparently too long, so it just got ignored. (UI problem, in my opinion) Anyway, in remembering what the title was, I realized I had meant to say more about movies, so here it is:
I love them. And if you know me, you already know that. (If you know me and don't already know that...um...you don't really know me.) So I took a film class this semester, and we watched a bunch of things I really ought to have already seen, which was cool, cause now I've seen them, and have been inspired (read: been given a kick in the ass) to go off on my own and watch more movies instead of relying on other people (like my dad or a teacher) to tell me that something is great and I should see it. I will likely miss a lot of context doing it that way, but my film teacher doesn't seem to mind being visited to talk about movies, so maybe I'll ask him to give a little context on a group of films before I watch them. Or I'll read more of the book we used in class. We'll see. And this upcoming semester, I have no classes, as I've just graduated, so I'd like to spend a lot of time taking advantage of the video collection at CMU's library while I've got the chance. The room is cozy, the collection is pretty extensive, and if I don't know what I want to watch, I can just flip at random through the catalog and go from there!

Second edit: Welp. Apparently it wasn't that the title was too long, the title just doesn't want to take, so now it's all at the top. Yay bugs!

Edit the third: No it isn't ><

No comments: