Monday, September 24, 2012

Less rageful rage.

So, today I was reminded once again of the ongoing joke the KGB has against sports. (The KGB, a student organization at CMU) It goes something like 'Sports! Sports! Sports!' It is fueled partly by an SMBC comic about football, and today a left-handed toon about sports. Now here's what bothers me:

The KGB is a group of nerds, at a nerd school. These are the wackos, the kids who don't fit in, etc. How is it that these people are some of the most closed minded, judgmental people I've ever met? "You like sports? You're weird. How could you possibly be obsessed about something so stupid?"

Now look, I'm not defending sports fans as valid, nor am I saying they deserve scorn. What I am saying is that a group of kids who used to get picked on for loving all manner of academic and fictional pursuits are now being just as douchey about other people's interests. Including some of their own. I know there are KGB members other than myself who love football, and there are likely some who love other sports. This whole 'we love everyone because we're weirdos, but not you because you're not weird enough' is really getting on my nerves.

No comments: